In August, model and surfing enthusiast Eryn Krouse (@erynkrouse) visited Club Med Kani with Reef Girls. We asked her some questions to get the best tips for a trip in the Maldives. Note: All images below are courtesy of Eryn Krouse and Chris Delorenzo, and have been shared with permission.
What are your must-haves when travelling to an island destination like Club Med Kani?
- 🏄 Surfboard: The Maldives is the prefect surfing holiday destination. There are amazing spots to surf empty waves.
- 🐠 Snorkel mask and fins: I have never seen a water that clear. The Indian Ocean is the paradise for tropical fishes and giant sting rays.
- 📷 Gopro and camera: Pictures and videos are the best souvenirs you can bring from the Maldives… It is the only way to remind you that it was not a dream!
- ☀ Sunscreen: With such tropical temperatures and sunny weather, I make sure to protect my skin.
- 👙 Swimsuits: Probably the most important part of my outfit at Club Med Kani. I could dive straight from my premium suite to the ocean!
- 👗 Summer clothe: Reef Girls sandals, a few pairs of shorts, tshirts and tank tops.
- 📖 A book: I love reading a book in the plane, time goes so fast! So, all the time I saved looking for a flight (it's included with Club Med), I spent it looking for the perfect book.
What was your typical day in Club Med Kani?
Since I was pretty jetlagged, I'd be up from 3 or 4 am which I didn't mind too much. I'd take a relaxing bath while listening to music and watch the sunrise. I'd usually dive in with my snorkel gear and explore around before showering back in my room and walking over to the breakfast buffet with my photographer, Chris Delorenzo. We would spend some time in the buffet, eating the different cuisines and talked about what we wanted to do that day.
Usually it involved some fun adventure such as going on a seaplane and chartering a boat to go surf or dive somewhere. We spent most of the day roaming the beautiful resort and swimming in the ocean, and would stop our adventuring only to go to the buffets (which we enjoyed immensely).
What were your favourite surf breaks in the Maldives?
My favorite surf break was right outside the resort, a right breaking wave called Ninja. I didn't get to surf it as much as I wanted to because it involved a boat to get around the shallow reef, but the two times I did get to surf the spot were amazing. I had the waves to myself for about half an hour before some other surfers would join me in the line-up.
Absolutely nothing can beat surfing in the Maldives.
It's a perfect, glassy wave and the size of the wave was perfect for me... just a little over head high. It was amazing to take off a wave and see all the way to the bottom while surfing because the water was so clear. My homebreak is Malibu, CA which is probably one of the most crowded surf spots in the world, so it was such a treat to have a perfect wave to share with only a handful of friendly surfers.
What was your highlight from the trip?
The highlight of my trip was the day we chartered a boat to go explore the various islands outside of Club Med Kani. That day we swam with hundreds of dolphins, and even spotted a lone manta ray majestically floating close to the surface. The best part of this day, however was going to a dive spot right next to a tunafish factory where I swam with a whole school of gigantic sting rays.
Your recommendation for a bucket list to tick off in the Maldives?
✔️ Stay in an overwater bungalow ✔️ Ride in a seaplane ✔️ Explore the various dive spots and swim with dolphins, manta rays, and stingrays ✔️ Explore a local Maldivian village
See you soon for my next traveling adventure...
Want to tick off the Maldives from your own bucket list?
Discover Club Med's resorts in the Maldives here and From beginners to advanced, get the best Maldives surfing experience while enjoying Club Med Kani's all-inclusive package and postcard-perfect facilities. Discover Club Med’s surfing packages here!